The sea of the Island of Elba: where you can swim and enjoy the summer
Nature, history and beaches: Elba is visited mainly for its sea and bathing places. In summer the island comes alive thanks to the many tourists who come to jump into the Tyrrhenian sea and enjoy its cool water. But how is the sea of the Island of Elba? Where is it possible to swim? Discover it with us.
The water quality of the Island of Elba
The quality of the sea water of the Island of Elba improves year by year. The surveys carried out by the competent authorities becomes better and the island, as well as many other Italian territories, are working to tackle marine pollution, which is a major problem not only in the Tyrrhenian sea, but throughout the Mediterranean.
The water quality is also checked by ARPAT, the regional environmental protection authority of Tuscany. It constantly monitors the sea of the island and keeps the list of Tuscan places updated where bathing is possible.
Where bathing is possible on Elba
On the Island of Elba there are several places where bathing is allowed. Let us take a closer look.
- In Porto Azzurro, not far from our residence, we find the beaches of Punta dello Stendardo, Mola and Porto Azzurro Est, whose water quality is considered, by ARPAT to be excellent.
- In Portoferraio we find Schiopparello, San Giovanni, Bagnaia, Acquaviva, Viticcio, La Biodola, Il Grigolo, the Ottone beach, Portoferraio North, Terme San Giovanni, Fosso Acquacavalla and Biodola North.
- In Capoliveri you can swim on the southwest coast, in the south and in the east, in Barabarca, in the Gulf of Lacona, on the east and west of the Gulf of Stella, on the beach of the Madonna and in that of Naregno.
- In Marciana swimming is allowed in Spartaia, Pomonte, Chiessi and Patresi, on the north coast and in the Gulf of Procchio.
- Whereas in Marciana Marina we find the beach of Redinoce, the Fosso di Lavacchio, the places La Fenicia and Bagno.
- In Campo nell’Elba you can swim in Fetovaia, Seccheto and La Foce in Marina di Campo, on the south coast, in Pianosa and Cala Giovanna, in the center and the south of Marina di Campo.
- In Rio Marina you can swim in the north, south, in the center, in Cavo, Cavo sud and northwest.
- We conclude this overview on the bathing areas with Rio nell’Elba and its villages Nisporto and Nisportino.
Blue Flag beaches on the Island of Elba
The ones just reported have been analyzed and approved by ARPAT, but as we said, the sea of Elba is not evaluated only by the Tuscan agency. In fact, the Island of Elba has been on the list of Blue Flag beaches for several years with „La Fenicia“ in Marciana Marina. This international recognition is not only awarded for the services and quality of the beaches, but also for the conditions of bathing water. Marciana Marina’s „La Fenicia” meets all the Blue Flag requirements and is therefore added every year to this important list. However, even the other beaches of the island of Elba can boast a beautiful clean sea and efficient services.
If you want to experience the sea of Elba and are looking for accommodation, our Villa Teresa in Porto Azzurro would be very happy to welcome you in its holiday apartments and holiday houses. We are looking forward to meeting you!