Why give up a healthy beach vacation if you suffer from food intolerances or celiac disease? The Island of Elba is also the ideal destination for tourists who need gluten-free solutions regarding food and services; we will see some practical suggestions provided by AIC, the Italian Celiac Association, on how to better orientate oneself in the choice.
Gluten-free restaurants on the Island of Elba
One of the pleasures of vacation is certainly to enjoy the delicious local dishes; often the difficulty of those suffering from food intolerances or suffering from celiac disease is to be able to combine this enjoyment with suitable, gluten-free food proposals of the restaurants. On the Island of Elba it will be easy to succeed, given the wide choice of gluten-free dishes available in restaurants, both salty and sweet.
The AIC, Italian Celiac Association, to help those suffering from celiac disease, has brought together a large number of certified restaurants and caffés where you can eat a meal or have a snack in complete safety. Let’s see some present on the island of Elba:
- In Poggio, in Marciana, you will find the “Publius” restaurant where, in a simple and welcoming environment, the staff is prepared to advise you on all the specific menu options for people who can not eat flour;
- In Marciana Marina we have the restaurant “Il Gastronomo” which combines the beauty of the seafront location with the quality of the Sicilian and Elban cuisine, mainly fish, adaptable on request to the gluten-free needs of the guests;
- To taste a delicious pizza, cooked in a wood oven with selected ingredients, we recommend the Pizzeria “Bologna” in Marina di Campo, on whose menu the crossed grain symbol indicates the gluten-free pizzas; the grossed grain symbolon the menu indicates the gluten-free pizzas.
- In the locality of Procchio, in Marciana, we find the “Sea Club Paola” also specialized in gluten-free cooking, which will offer you a wide selection of gluten-free pizzas and typical “schiaccine elbane”, in a suggestive position overlooking the sea;
- For a drink or quick bite, you will find the bar “il Convio“, right on the sea and strictly gluten-free. The bar is located in Campo nell’Elba, in Cavoli, at the same named beach where you can also enjoy the many musical events organized during the summer season.
You will get your sweet-tooth satisfaction in the many ice-cream parlors and pastries that the island of Elba offers and that will not disappoint your expectations.
- In several municipalities of the island of Elba, including Capoliveri and Porto Azzurro, the “Zero Gradi” ice cream chain prepares delicious ice creams, cakes and “semifreddo” (half frozen) with fresh and selected ingredients, in full accordance with the dietary needs of those who can not eat gluten;
- To refresh yourself with tasty fruit granitas, you can discover all the flavors of the “Ghibli” ice cream parlor, in Campo nell’Elba, which uses selected raw materials certified by the AIC handbook; also the proposal of ice creams and cakes respects the same rigor and allows tastings in complete tranquility;
- The “Crema & Cioccolato” pastry shop in Rio Marina is another destination not to be missed to enjoy the tasty gluten-free desserts available, including chocolate cakes and even bread.
Services for celiacs on the Island of Elba
For celiac travelers who choose the island of Elba for holidays and need to buy gluten-free, ready-made products, we point out some supermarkets that offer such a possibility as Coop and Conad in Portoferraio and the Giusti pharmacy in Porto Azzurro, where a dedicated section of gluten-free foods over-the-counter as well as of the fridge is available.
Useful suggestions to help you make the right choice
To get exhaustiv information on gluten-free catering in a non-domestic environment we remind you that there is an AIC project called AFC, Food Outside Home, which through careful selection and preparation has prepared a restaurant and meal guide of where you can eat without risk. The complete list is available in paper or digital format.
As you can see it is not so complicated to enjoy a beneficial stay on Elba even if you have to follow a gluten-free diet; on this beautiful island you will find restaurants, bars and ice cream parlors ideal to satisfy your taste in complete safety.
For your accommodation you will find the apartments of our residence Villa Teresa in Porto Azzurro: all of them equipped with a kitchenette where you can safely prepare gluten-free dishes.